Magic the Gathering Stores in Japan
This will be a page devoted to the nerdy but popular card game by Wizards of the Coast. It will focus on shop locations in major cities, experiences, prices (both for buying and selling), and events to name a few things. If you have ideas or questions about anything, or want me to cover something in a future blog post, please leave me a message here!
I am also looking for contributors to this website. If you live close to a few hobby shops or card stores and want to share them with others who might be living nearby, please get in touch with me here and I will be more than happy to feature your articles on this website. Take some pictures, write down information about the store and directions on how to get there, and also write down your impressions and opinions about the place. It would be great to have a network of MTG gamers around Japan.
- Phase (Chikusa) and Card Brunch (Kanayama) - http://thejapanhobbyist.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/japanese-mtg-player-archetypes-and-hobby-profiles-ii/
- Amenity Dream (Osu) - http://thejapanhobbyist.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/hobby-shop-profiles-in-japan-i-nagoya-part-1/
- Hobby Station (Osu) - http://thejapanhobbyist.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/hobby-shops-in-nagoya-iv/
- Big Magic (Yaba-cho) - http://thejapanhobbyist.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/things-are-darkest-just-before-the-dawn-another-japan-hobby-store-profile/
- Mishimaya (Ozone) - http://thejapanhobbyist.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/hobby-store-profiles-iii-nagoya-part-3/
- Hobby Station (Sasashima Live, Near Nagoya Station) - http://thejapanhobbyist.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/attack-of-the-pod-people-and-playing-in-the-rain-off-the-beaten-path/
- Yellow Submarine (Osu) - http://thejapanhobbyist.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/new-hobby-store-opening-and-the-mutating-metagame/
- Hobby Station (Meitetsu Eki) - http://thejapanhobbyist.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/the-wrap-up-the-final-nagoya-hobby-store-profile-and-current-metagame/
- Fireball and Omocha Hayakawa (Kamimaezu and Rokuban-cho) - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2012/09/12/off-the-beaten-path-magic-store-profiles-around-nagoya/
- Hobby Station (Yagoto) and Phase (Aratamabashi) - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2012/11/10/off-the-beaten-path-magic-stores-around-nagoya-yagoto-and-aratamabashi/
- Hobby Saloon (SEE Game Saloon) - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2013/03/11/magic-in-the-wild-west-hobby-saloon/
- Game Saloon – http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2013/10/31/gaming-cowboy-hanging-out-at-the-new-saloon/
- Trading Card Game Shop 193 - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2013/06/26/the-193rd-card-shop/
- Prinny Club Kanayama - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2013/09/05/dood-its-a-new-card-shop-in-nagoya/
Outside of Nagoya
- Smile King (Kariya) - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2012/10/16/magic-stores-off-the-beaten-path-hamamatsu-and-kariya/
- Master’s Guild - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2012/02/07/talk-the-talk-a-mtg-vocab-lesson-in-japanese-a-store-profile/
- Card Labo - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2012/10/16/magic-stores-off-the-beaten-path-hamamatsu-and-kariya/
- Master’s Guild Hamakita - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2013/08/22/magic-stores-in-japan-masters-guild-2-0/
- Amenity Dream, Yellow Submarine, Card Labo - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2012/02/20/kyoto-is-more-than-just-temples-and-tea-it-seems-more-store-profiles/
Tokyo (Coming Soon)
- Yellow Submarine and Hobby Station - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2013/11/14/mtg-stores-in-chiba-prefecture-yellow-submarine-and-hobby-station/
- Fireball, Yellow Submarine, and Card Labo (Fukuoka City and Kitakyushu) - http://thejapanhobbyist.com/2013/10/25/southern-hospitality-mtg-stores-in-and-around-fukuoka-city/
Some of these posts are a little old, so if you need some clarification or have questions about the stores, please let me know.
I’d also like to post a link to a useful article I did for those people who are new to competitive Magic. It’s up to date with the Return to Ravnica Block, and will be updated in the future depending on if the metagame changes.