Bang for your Buck: Investing in Cards for M14 – Izzet and Gruul
Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for any poor decisions I make in regards to any cards you might buy in response to my article. I’m going to post my thoughts and plead my case for each card I recommend, and if you agree then by all means head out to your local gaming store or buy cards online and try to snap up some good deals. I’m basing my information off of months of standard gaming experience as well as prices in my area and how they’ve reacted to the ever changing metagame. I can only hope that the decisions I make are good ones and that my gamble pays off after buying the featured cards.
Bang for your Buck is going to be a little different this time. With the set rotation coming up at the end of September, the WHOLE Innistrad Block (Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored) and M13 will no longer be standard playable. Therefore it’s kind of pointless to talk about those sets in this article. Of course some cards will maintain their value due to play in other formats (Take Griselbrand from AVR for example), but for the most part the prices are going to bomb. Today I’ll be focusing mainly on the Ravnica block sets (Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, Dragon’s Maze). I will be covering the sets rotating out in less than 3 months in the series or articles following this one called “A Whole New World: MTG Post Rotation”. Those articles will be going up at the start of August and will cover what to invest in before the cards become hard to get. With all of that cleared up now, let’s take a look at the cards I think will be a good investment for the M14 metagame.
Previous Izzet, Gruul, and Red suggestions
- Thundermaw Hellkite – I said that its price at $18 was where it should be, but that you should follow the metagame. I also said that if it wasn’t reprinted in M14 that it would probably go down in value. As vague as that suggestion was, seeing less play has lowered its price to $13.75. Still a powerful card, but it’s fading fast. Not gonna say I called this.
- Magmaquake – just a fun pick, didn’t really think it would go anywhere. Another card I can’t say went up or down.
- Bonfire of the Damned – I said to buy it at $15, but it’s dropped to $10 so I was wrong with this advice. It looks like it might still get more play before rotation with Jund and mono red control, but I don’t think the price will go up again.
- Hellrider – He’s still seeing a lot of play in Gruul and other red strategies, but that isn’t helping his value from dropping. It hit $3.25 (down from $5), so I was wrong with my advice.
- Ash Zealot – Wow, when the metagame turns against blitz and aggro strategies, it REALLY turns against them. I recommended this card at $2.25, but it’s at $1.50 now. *sigh*. My bad.
- Mizzium Mortars – No change in value, but I still think it will go up in value the closer it gets to rotation since Bonfire of the Damned is rotating.
- Legion Loyalist – I said it could be a good investment at $2.50, and I was actually right! It’s up to about $3, maybe even going up a little bit more. Finally a correct guess.
- Huntmaster of the Fells – I said people would sell him off and that his value would go down, and he did. He’s only $8.75. Woot, another right guess.
I know I was wrong at saying you should buy this at $2.25 last time, but it’s now at $1.50. With flashback rotating out in September with the Innistrad block (along with Snapcaster Mage), it may seem like her second ability is going to be absolutely worthless, but I think there will still be cards she’ll be effective against thanks to the wording. $1 is bulk rare range, and I don’t think Ash Zealot will ever hit that. She won’t go up in value any time soon, but maybe after Theros she’ll go up in price again. This is more of a long term investment.
I kind of want to briefly touch on Counterflux ($.60) and Cyclonic Rift ($1.75). I think these are both good cards with future applications, and are worth picking up at these prices. These won’t be big gainers in value, but they’ll see some play in the future. With Dissipate rotating out with ISD, Counterflux could fill that role in UWR control. Jace also seems to be holding his value at $12. I don’t expect him to go up in value too much. Maybe a dollar or two if he sees play after rotation.
Ral Zarek ($11.75) seems to be a little under priced at the moment. Yes he’s not too popular in the current meta, but from the decks I saw him used in, he was pretty damn strong. He WILL see play against as it gets closer to rotation, and I think he could see brisk sales and get close to $14 by September. He’s a good card, and will fill the spot that Tamiyo leaves when she leaves standard.
Control decks aren’t really the IN thing right now, but there has been a lot of chatter that it could be making a comeback in September with Theros because Cavern of Souls won’t be standard legal anymore. Ruric Thar is only $0.75 now, so it would be good to pick him up for your sideboards now while he’s cheap. Again, not one of those high value gaining cards, but I could see him at $2 sometime this year.
And that’s a Wrap
I was going to do Land and artifacts like last time, but there are so few good ones that it’s not really worth it. I don’t think any will see a large increase in value anyways. The shock lands are difficult to pin down since the metagame is always changing, but there has been a lot of talk that you should invest in them now while they are $8-$11. These are one type of card that will hold their value and also appreciate.
I hope that I do better with my guesses this time than I did last time, but only time will tell. Next week I’ll be talking about standard for a little bit, as well as updating my progress on the Nagoya metagame, and I’ll also be sharing 2 new decks that I’ve been working on. Check them out sometime next week! In two weeks, I’ll be starting my articles about the Magic environment post rotation. Don’t miss them!
Thanks for reading my financial articles, and as always please leave any thoughts or comments about my choices down below. If you don’t see your favorite card here, it’s probably because I don’t think it will go up/down in value much. Let me know if you beg to differ!